On Mountain Tops

by Jeb on 06/28/2009

in The Rest

I’m a lucky guy. Somewhere along the way I fell in love with the natural world, in such a way that it helps me to fix any broken parts that may exist. This seems an extraordinarily manageable (and inexpensive) way to cure what ails me, and so I find myself wondering about the non-man-made world often.

Typically I’m running in these places, but this past week I’ve been joined by the other loves of my life…my other healers. And so we’ve purposefully set out to climb mountains just recently, and I wanted to take a moment to share what we found, that perhaps these images might help you too. Or inspire you to find your own healthy places.

Mount Evans

At 14,264 feet, Mt. Evans is one of the nearly 60 14ers in Colorado. A bit south of Idaho Springs, it’s well within range of Denver and, therefore, quite accessible. It was only my 2nd 14er to date, and in comparison to Longs Peak, the ascent was much easier since you can drive most of the way (in fact, the road that leads to the top is the highest paved road in North America).

But gaining 9,000 feet in elevation in the span of an hour comes with challenges, and we were all feeling a bit off for the last thousand feet or so. It takes time for the body to acclimate, but once we were there for a few mins and had a chance to refuel the bodies, we were feeling fine and ready to hike the final half mile or so to the peak. Here are a few of the things we found (clicking on any of them will take you to my Flickr account, and more pics)…

Peak To Peak

A Ski Chute, Even in June

Highest Paved Road in North America

The Tippy Top

Mountain Man

Our Host

King of the Mountain

Echo Lake, on the way back down

Devil’s Head Lookout Station

Well it’s no 14er, but an amazing hike nonetheless, as is the view from this last manned lookout station in Colorado. The hike is about a mile and a half from trail head to the station, and in that distance the elevation gain is almost a full 1,000 feet, finishing at 9,748 feet. Because it’s still well below tree line (unlike Mt. Evans), the trail takes you through beautiful woods full of aspen trees and pines. The rock outcroppings along the way are amazing.

The first to welcome us to the trail

Going up...

Rubble

Hank & his lady

My main men

There we are

A little bit of everything

Believe it or not

Through these walls

Where the lookout dude lives

Last Steps

Tower on the rocks

Pikes Peak in the distance

(Verti)Going down

Lovely layers

Familiar faces

One of my faves

My Friends

Finishing touches

There are more pictures, and bigger sizes, on my Flickr account page, so feel free to click on over and have a look. Or better yet, go climb your own mountain.

Nate St. Pierre 06/28/2009 at 10:45 am

Wow, these pics are amazing. I was just telling my cousin in Denver that the next time I’m there, we should go hike Mt. Evans. Now I definitely will. Thanks for sharing!
Nate St. Pierre´s last blog ..I’m Not Your Mama Or Your Daddy My ComLuv Profile

Jeb 06/28/2009 at 11:05 am

Thank you Nate…if you ever need a tour guide (that is, someone who doesn’t know too much about it all, but loves being in the thick of it nonetheless), look me up on your next trip to Colorado. Cheers!

Ryan 06/28/2009 at 11:47 am

It looks like someone has a nice camera ;)

I haven’t hiked at all in Colorado, but it looks beautiful. Nature has that healing effect on me too-something about its constancy and perpetual regeneration.

Jeb 06/28/2009 at 1:02 pm

Indeed I do Ryan…:) Well hey, come a little South and due East for a bit and I’ll gladly host you and your fam to some nature-rich Colorado experiences. We can heal together…

Terri 06/28/2009 at 11:51 am

Gorgeous and inspiring… the pictures and words both, thank you! The hiking here in Phoenix can be great but I don’t find the desert atmosphere and southwest landscape nearly as exhilarating as the beauty I’ve seen in Colorado… the trees and sky and weather, so lovely.

“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” ~John Muir

“Truly it may be said that the outside of a mountain is good for the inside of a man.” ~George Wherry, Alpine Notes and the Climbing Foot, 1896

Jeb 06/28/2009 at 1:06 pm

Hi Terri,
Nice to see you again. I grew up in SoCal and though it’s not as dry as Phoenix, it definitely didn’t offer the beauty that is available in some of these Colorado locales. I highly recommend a trip.

And as always, thank you for the lovely quotes…there is no doubt that the outside of mountains is good for the inside of this man. :)

Sandra 06/28/2009 at 12:27 pm

wow….what a beautiful place! I can only imagine how healing and soul soothing a place like that can be! Love the photos…beautiful family!
Sandra´s last blog ..dailiness…. My ComLuv Profile

Jeb 06/28/2009 at 1:12 pm

Hi Sandra,
Thanks you for coming by…yes, there’s something particularly moving about the hugeness of these mountains, and the views they provide. They make me feel so small which, oddly, makes me feel important. Whatever your views on a higher power, that she’s seen us fit to exist in the vastness of it all is simply awe inspiring. Thanks for being here. :)

Zoe 06/28/2009 at 8:23 pm

Wow, do I want to go to Colorado now!

Such vibrant photos … I feel invigorated just with a peek of your hikes :) .
Zoe´s last blog ..Why I’m Not Realistic My ComLuv Profile

Jeb 06/28/2009 at 9:29 pm

Well Zdub, you’re welcome anytime. I’ll gladly show you the top of our world…