WOB dot com

by Jeb on 06/24/2009

in The Rest

Post image for WOB dot com

It occurred to me recently that beyond a small group of people, I’d not bothered to mention the fact that I’m now for hire.

I suppose that statement could lead the imagination in many directions, so let me clarify. I’ve been giving much thought this past year to changing directions, professionally. Sadly, this wasn’t a noble quest I chose, but rather a harsh reality thrust upon me. Regardless the impetus, I’m grateful. I’ve been quite miserable, professionally speaking, the entirety of my working life, so a change was due.

I’ve not completely worked through the question of ‘What do I want to do with my life?’, but I’m definitely moving in the right direction. As a part of that journey, I’ve discovered that I quite like building websites. A year ago, I hadn’t a clue how to begin such a thing, but today, I’ve built probably a dozen and it seems I have a knack for it.

Now, don’t get excited, I’m not talking about high-level coding and ultra-fancy sites. Those skills, at least for now, remain beyond my grasp. But I do a pretty bang-up job with WordPress installs, single- or multi-users, and I can find my way around a ‘custom-design’ request pretty well. Again, nothing extravagant, but professional, functional, user-friendly sites? You bet.

I’ve set up a simple website for offering said services over at WebsiteOrBlog.com. I’ve got some sample work as well as a few testimonials from people I’ve helped.

I’d love your feedback if you’re so inclined to offer it. And naturally, if you’ve got anyone in mind who just might benefit from my (quite inexpensive) services, I’d be truly grateful for the referral.

Cheers!

Ryan 06/24/2009 at 6:16 pm

Well, well, look what you’ve been up to! This is awesome-and I love your approach. I wish I had gone your route when I tried out web design-creating sites for the everyday-man, as it were, nothing fancy. And your prices are amazingly affordable. I’d recommend you. You’ve got the skills to bay the bills :)

Jeb 06/24/2009 at 7:47 pm

Hey RDS…
Thank you my friend, I appreciate it. But you could be doing this kind of thing with your eyes closed. No need to wish you went this route…it’s like learning Calculus. You can still do basic arithmetic, right? So do it. Oh, and if I get any requests that are beyond my scope, I’m sending them your way, if that’s cool with you (course, I’ll need some traffic first, naturally).

Take care bud.

Lisa 06/24/2009 at 7:32 pm

Just wanted to stop by and wish you the best with your new endeavor. One day… if I manage to find the time between my full time job, my side business, and life in general… maybe I’ll hit you up to help me put something together. Until then, should I hear of anyone needing your services… I’d be happy to pass your name along.

Jeb 06/24/2009 at 7:49 pm

Hi Lisa,
Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate you thinking of me. And yes, if you do ever get the time, I’d be delighted to help you (offering the HTM Reader Discount, of course).

Hamish 06/25/2009 at 6:30 am

Another well-wisher here… You do seem to have quite a knack for this, and I always enjoy reading about people who do what they like and like what they do. It helps me with reflecting on what direction I’d like to be taking, and how I might be able to enjoy making a living, rather than seeing work as a necessity.

I’ll keep you in mind should my path lead me towards a website!

Jeb 06/26/2009 at 3:51 am

Hamish,
Yes, that’s the trick, isn’t it? ‘How I might be able to enjoy making a living, rather than seeing work as a necessity.’ That’s priority #1 for me right now. Tough stuff, for sure, but very much worth the effort. Thanks for the encouragement my friend.