My posse

Post image for My posse

Okay, it’s a bit presumptuous to think I have a posse. But even if my posse members are involuntary (which is to say, only in my mind), perspective is everything. So hell yes I’ve got a posse.

Sidebar…

You may have noticed my views on Twitter changing a bit of late. The motivation behind  using Twitter, for me, is authenticity. Giving it and receiving it, and not only, or even primarily, on Twitter. But in the more important places - your blogs. Twitter is the neon sign. The cover of the book. The front door. It’s not your product. It’s not your story. It’s not where you live.

So the quantity vs. quality discussion is relevant to me, and I think you know where I sit on that issue. As a corollary, the #FollowFriday tradition has been getting under my skin. I love the idea - getting recommendations from your trusted friends (AKA your posse) about others you might be interested in. But I feel like it places undue priority on the sign, the cover, the door. And not enough on the product/story/home.

Back To My Posse…

I’ve been feeling very thankful lately, for a lot of people. A lot of you. And frankly, #FollowFriday doesn’t do you justice. Doesn’t scratch the surface of justice. Doesn’t reside in the same hemisphere as justice.

There’s a significant group of people with whom I interact regularly that have had an important impact on me. At a very critical time. I don’t expect those people have been similarly influenced by me, and as such, I don’t assume they understand the role they’ve played. It may be that they’ll look at this series of posts a bit cross-eyed, not realizing their meaning…to me.

But - and this is critically important - these are people who have figured out How To Matter. They may not have done it consciously, but I think that’s actually best. Because when being ourselves, behaving in a way that comes naturally, effortlessly, results in such a positive influence in the life of another human being, well, you’ve done it. You’ve connected on a level, and in a way, that creates friction. Sparks a flame. Fuels the fire of potential. And that, my friends, is where it’s at.

So I want you to know it. I think it’s important that these contributions are not only appreciated, but that this appreciation is voiced, that others might take a moment to listen. And so I’m starting a new tradition here at How To Matter. Every Sunday, I’ll be giving thanks for (and to) a different member of my posse. In such a way that not only lets that person know the role they’ve played, but gives others a chance to recognize his or her value. Nothing too long - not looking for a love-fest here. Just the highlights. The bullet points. If they interest you, I assume you’ll go check ‘em out and fill in your own blanks.

Let’s Get This Party Started…

Rather than wait a week to introduce my first posse-member, let’s get right down to it, shall we?

Richard Reeve of Catskill Cottage Seed (@ccseed)

When I first jumped on Twitter toward the end of last year, Richard was my first authentic connection. A few twitter conversations later I headed over to his blog and I’ve never looked back.

You know all those self-help people that have run amuck on the internet? The Top-10 lists, the Quick Fixes, the Positive Thinking? Yeah, that’s NOT Richard. No, Richard has, without a doubt, helped me more than any of those monkeys ever could.

His knowledge of psychology is staggering. He’s en route to becoming a Jungian Analyst and his command of Jung’s teachings and the wonderful way he uses it to encourage deep level thinking in others is amazing to watch. More amazing to benefit from.

He’s intentionally ambiguous, which means I actually have to think for myself. I once asked in a comment on his blog if he would be issuing Masters Degrees for long-term readers of his blog, as he’s made me think much more strenuously than anything I ever experienced in college (he found that funny, only I wasn’t kidding).

Throughout it all, he weaves art and nature and family  and…life, and it allows me to know him in a way that I don’t know some of my closest friends. If I’m not mistaken, he’s been using social media for less than 10 months. Yet he makes an art of it better than anyone I’ve seen.

There’s much more I could say about Richard, but I think it’s best you discover him for yourself. I’m not a fan of gurus and I don’t think it’s altogether healthy to place people on pedestals. But if anyone is worthy of either, it’s Richard. I’m hopeful one day I’ll have the good fortune to play for others the role Richard has played for me. Go check him out…

Related posts:

1. My Posse, 2nd In A Series
  2. My Posse, 4th in a series
  3. My Posse, 3rd in a series
  4. The Twitter Life-Suck

{ 2 trackbacks }

My Posse, 2nd In A Series — How To Matter
04/26/2009 at 12:05 pm
My Posse, 4th in a series — How To Matter
05/17/2009 at 2:20 pm

1 Zoe 04/19/2009 at 9:03 am

I’m feeling completely on the same page as you — after reading all the wonderful responses to my midnight post, I realized how many genuine people — like you! — I’ve connected with in this space.

What a generous idea, these posse introductions… you would be in any posse post I made, because you are always challenging and opening minds with your questions and perspectives.

And I’ll second what you’re saying about Richard. He manages to create such a unique, authentic space that engages a wide network of people on a deep level — impressive and wonderful to take part in.

Get Zoe’s content here..Answers to My Midnight Questions

2 Jeb 04/19/2009 at 9:31 am

Hi Zoe…
Yes, it’s becoming somewhat of a mastermind. You all help me think trough things in a way I couldn’t accomplish on my own. Getting these thoughts out, giving them room to move around, and be influenced by others…most excellent. It’s the real value in social media for me.

Should you decide to start your own posse, I would be honored to join. Or maybe we should join forces, and make an uber-posse. But we should probably come up with a name. I’ll think on that. You have a splendid day now…

3 Ryan 04/19/2009 at 2:55 pm

You can definitely be in my posse, Jeb. And for what it’s worth, I began to follow and continue to follow your words because they strike me as authentic. I see that what you say is both an example of what you strive to be and what you currently are-there is no deception. I like that.

And I think we should all have posses. And like all good posses, we should go rob a stage coach or do something equally exciting once in a while.

4 Jeb 04/19/2009 at 7:57 pm

Hey thanks Ryan, I appreciate you sticking around. It’s nice to know that I’m perceived as authentic…hope that’s true for others too. HTM is where I feel that most, so I’m glad it’s coming through.

And you can count me in on the stage-coach robbing stunt. I’m not so good on a horse, and I’ve never worn a cowboy hat, but still, I’ve got other skills. :)

5 Bamboo Forest - PunIntended 04/19/2009 at 3:49 pm

Glad to be in your posse. I always enjoy your writing - it sticks out in this vast blogopolis.

I’m going to head over and check Richard’s blgo out.

Cheers.

6 Jeb 04/19/2009 at 7:59 pm

Thanks BF…I’ll do my best to keep on sticking out (in a good way), and you do the same, eh? And yes, please, go visit Richard. Well worth your time, I promise.

7 Detlef Cordes 04/19/2009 at 6:27 pm

Hi Jeb,
I’m glad to be in your posse - I have to admit I had to look that word up. If we rob a stage coach: do they let me out here again?
Jeb, I’m always learning from you, as you have a unique perspective on things and your thoughts are focused along your tagline while your heart and mind are wide open to “different” views.

Get Detlef Cordes’s content here..Not beautiful but useful

8 Jeb 04/19/2009 at 8:07 pm

I don’t know Detlef, that take that stage coach robbing thing pretty serious in Texas. You might want to hold off till the rest of the posse falls in, or head north to Oklahoma.

I do try to be open, not to judge things/people too quickly (or at all). That hasn’t always been the case, but I’ve found it a much better way to live. Thanks for noticing.

9 Alden Smith 04/19/2009 at 8:28 pm

I must agree with you on the value Richard Reeve brings to the Twitter stream. Richard & I lock horns a bit because of his Jungian beliefs, which although to me are very realistic, but somewhat incomplete. I am a student of Seth, and see things from that viewpoint. Richard is a gem, and anyone that has a need for someone that causes them to think should be interested in his conversations. I subscribe to very few feeds, but Richard’s is one of them that I view regularly.

Peace,

Charlie~

Get Alden Smith’s content here..Making The Transition

10 Jeb 04/19/2009 at 8:54 pm

Amen Alden. Seems I’m not alone in my gratitude for all things @ccseed. He’s got a very compelling value proposition. :)

11 Kristin T. (@kt_writes) 04/19/2009 at 8:34 pm

Now look what you’ve done-you’ve gone and made me all emotional and teary and grateful-feeling, which I guess you’re not too worried about since it’s part of being authentic.

I think we should go for the uber-posse, and yes, rob a stagecoach while we’re at it. Not only are you “good people,” you seem to know how to attract/find good people. It’s a community I’m very glad to be a part of-not because the people are “nice” or “cool,” but because they’re all thinking, striving and growing in really genuine, open ways, like you.

Get Kristin T. (@kt_writes)’s content here..The problem with letting people speak for God

12 Jeb 04/19/2009 at 8:58 pm

Oh great, now I’ve done it…you know how long it’s been since I made a girl cry? :) Uber-posse it is, then. I’ve got some wicked cool names in mind, but most of them involve profanity, so perhaps we should elect you, KT, as the official posse-namer. We should have stickers, and maybe @ryandscott can make us a badge for all of us to put on our websites. Hey, that’s a great plan. Gonna go ask him now.

Thanks KT…

13 Richard Reeve 04/20/2009 at 5:30 am

What you are pointing to here Jeb get to the root of a image I’ve been tossing around in my head that comes from the poet Charles Olson: “A nation of nothing but poetry.”…And in the open-minded/hearted sharing that this space allows for, we are finding that, to borrow Godin’s term< tribes are forming around interests and usefulness.

What’s important to me is that a symphony of distinct voices flourish, and the checkerboard you have presented above is certainly that.

Thanks for your words…it means a great deal to know I matter to you.

Get Richard Reeve’s content here..Quietude

14 Jeb 04/20/2009 at 11:10 am

Hi Richard,
I haven’t read Olson’s work, but I like that…’a nation of nothing but poetry’. I’ve always enjoyed writing, but lately I must say I can truly feel the power of the written word. It’s not just another form of communication to me. It can be a work of art…communicating a message, yes, but also evoking emotion, feeling. For the writer and reader alike.

Thanks for helping to paint the picture Richard.

15 krissy 04/20/2009 at 9:16 pm

I’m heading over to read Richard’s words just now.
Thank you for being someone who matters as well Jed.

Get krissy’s content here..Saturday Send

16 Jeb 04/21/2009 at 3:43 am

Good Krissy, I know you’ll be happy you did.

17 Henie 04/20/2009 at 10:00 pm

Well, now I know I don’t like staying away from HTM for a prolonged period of time! I am laughing because I think I was the “Pushy Posse” jumping in front of the stagecoach! Bottom line, so honored that you considered and annointed me! :~)

One of my earliest quotes on Twitter: “Authenticity is sharing not selling!” This is exactly why/how I found Richard…don’t even remember the details but all at once I was involved in the most incredible cerebral massage of my life! Richard is a bastion of excellence and authenticity!…and that’s how you and I connected!

Since then, I have seen you propel and soar…I have heard your sculpted words…enjoyed glimpses of your soul…

I am enjoying the tenor of our community! Thank you for YOU! :~)

Get Henie’s content here..Sliver of Past

18 Jeb 04/21/2009 at 3:49 am

Perhaps, Henie, this is how we’ll overtake our first stage-coach. Okay, huddle up, here’s what we’ll do. Henie, you leave the station well in advance of the stage-coach and hide out behind a rocky outcropping. When you hear the thundering of the horse’s hooves, jump out in front of the stage coach and do the cabbage patch. As the people on board stop to admire your wicked dancing, the rest of us will rob them blind.

Excellent idea, Henie! :)