Roots and Reach - a model for us all.

by Jeb on 04/10/2009

in Reflection

Post image for Roots and Reach - a model for us all.

As I follow their lives from the ground up, I’m amazed. I stand there looking up at nothing in particular, but marveling at everything just the same. The wonders these trees have seen. I try to consider the stories they would tell, if only we could listen.

And I find myself on the verge of tears. Their unrivaled beauty and strength, effortlessly achieving that which mankind would gladly kill them for. Do they even know? Have they sense enough to understand all that they have witnessed?

I think they do. And yet, as though undeterred, they reach for the heavens. There’s a lesson here for me. Perhaps one day I will fully grasp it.

• Yahoo Mail
  • Reddit
  • Ping
  • LinkedIn

{ 1 trackback }

Images and Ideas — How To Matter
04/13/2009 at 9:19 pm

lilyofoz 04/10/2009 at 9:37 pm

I am touched by your words, for as long as i can remember i have identified myself with trees, thank you for putting out this ray of sunshine, for thoughts of reaching beyond the cruel earth, for the encouragement, for the trees.

~lily
@lilyofoz
twitter

Jeb 04/11/2009 at 3:45 am

Hi Lily,
Thanks for this. Yes, there is something about them that stirs me. I can remember as a teenager going to Sequoia National Park and seeing the giants there and being simply dumbstruck. I just couldn’t make sense of it, how they could reach such a mammoth size. I think that’s probably when my love and respect for them began in ernest, though truthfully, being amongst them from the earliest of ages always set me right.

They’re wonderful companions on this journey. Have you by chance read “A Walk In The Woods” by Bill Bryson? Sort of unrelated, but he gives a nice history of some of the amazing trees in that region. Plus the book is just amazing. And funny. Cheers!

Henie 04/10/2009 at 11:25 pm

My Dear Jeb…

Your burgeoning deep eloquence and sensitivity is a pleasure to be witness of! It is quite diverse from your sometimes volatile and raw “rants” which is equally enjoyable!

You are obviously a deep thinker ladened with tender observations…you continue to grow into a wisdom all your own!

You sort of remind me of a majestic tree…deep rooted into the warm core of the earth while reaching for the sky and inviting it to caress your soul!

Though we’ve just connected, I feel that we have known each other for sometime, perhaps through many other lifetimes.

Thank you for you, my friend, thank you! :~)

I enjoyed this short yet prolific post! Keep them coming!

Get Henie’s content here..Feeling Done With Social Media

Jeb 04/11/2009 at 3:47 am

Oh Henie, you are so nice. Being compared to a tree is the highest form of compliment, so thank you! I don’t feel particularly deep rooted…more a gypsy. But as I said, they are a wonderful model for us all, and there’s still time for me. :)
Thank you, Henie, for YOU!

Bamboo Forest - PunIntended 04/11/2009 at 9:15 am

I love trees as I love the forest.

They really are marvelous and beautiful living structures. I find there’s nothing like taking a hike through the woods. It’s magical.

Get Bamboo Forest - PunIntended’s content here..How to Make the Choices You Really Want to Make in Life

Jeb 04/11/2009 at 9:41 am

Yes indeed. This is much of why I love trail running. Simply being surrounded by trees is peaceful in a way I cant find elsewhere. Good for mah brains… :)

Detlef Cordes 04/13/2009 at 4:55 am

Hi Jeb,

I think what we can “learn” from trees and plants is their pure being there - only that we can’t learn it, as we already are being here.

There is a saying from the Greek (those Greeks ;) )philosopher Parmenides: “What is is - what is not is not.” As humans we are often on the “Is-Not-Side”, as have to be in the future or past. We may be cut down if we don’t plan our future and the future of our loved ones - isn’t it a pity?

Get Detlef Cordes’s content here..Farming is an uphill battle

Jeb 04/13/2009 at 3:36 pm

Hey DC…Indeed, nature offers much for us to learn. The lessons aren’t always easy and perhaps this is why we rarely pay attention. But the being ‘here’ instead of ‘there’ is a struggle for the ages. Sometimes, I guess we have to be everywhere, or so it feels. Where are you?